Facebook Twitter Linkedin Google+

Moving checklist 01323 446600

Moving checklist

You're moving! Have you contacted everyone? If not, use our handy guide below to find out what details you will need to change:

Change your Council Tax details

You can contact your local council's Council Tax office online. Tell them the date that you move out of your old property and when you move into your new one, so they can bill you correctly.

If you receive benefits have you told your benefit provider?

Give your details to the local Jobcentre Plus office or, if you don't yet have Jobcentre Plus in your area, contact your Jobcentre or social security office. You can use the Jobcentre Plus link to find your nearest Jobcentre Plus, Jobcentre or social security office.

Do you need a new doctor or dentist?

If you've moved area you may need to register with a new doctors' surgery (GP) or dentist. If you use other local medical services don't forget to find alternatives when you move.

Have you redirected your post to your new address?

You can download the form from the Post Office website. It can take up to 10 days to set up and there is a charge.

Have you told the utility providers (gas, water, electricity)?

You need to tell them at least 48 hours in advance that you are moving. Pass on the details of your current supplier to the people moving in. On your moving day you will need to read the meters in both properties so the correct bills can be issued. When you move in to your new home contact who you want to supply your utilities so they can register you as a new customer and start billing you from that day.

Have you updated your driving licence and vehicle registration documentation?

You must inform the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) immediately of any changes to your name, address or both. You must also inform the DVLA if either the name and address details shown on the registration certificate are incorrect. Follow the links below to find out how to make these changes.

Have you updated your details on the Electoral Register?

The register is updated every month and you need to be included on it to vote. A form is available from the Electoral Commission's 'About my vote' website. You can complete the form online, or download and send it to the Electoral Registration Office which is based at your local council.

Have you told TV (television) licensing?

Your television licence will only cover your current home, so you'll need to transfer it to your new address.

If you have an identity card, have you updated your details?

If you hold an identity card and you move house, you need to update your details on the National Identity Register by informing the Identity and Passport Service.

On the move?

Contact Smoover

Please contact us on the details below.

01323 446600

George Street
BN27 1AE


Create your free account!

Mobile conveyancing

Check in on the progress of your transaction anytime, anywhere.

The Smoover app will notify you immediately of any changes.

Stay informed and in control every step of the way.

Smoover App on Google Smoover App on Apple

Thank you for signing up to receive our newsletter - we will be in touch shortly.